Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Teacher Week 2013: Meet the Teacher and Classroom Tour!

Welcome to Teacher Week 2013! (Check out Blog Hoppin' to link up!) I totally meant to post last night, but I fell asleep as SOON as I got home. Yesterday was the start of my third week of school and needless to say....I. Am. EXHAUSTED!! Since I slept through Monday night, I'll do Monday and Tuesday's post TOGETHER! :)


Monday is  Meet the Teacher so here are 10 things about me! (I'll try to be quick...)

1. I'm a first grade teacher, but I loop with my kids from Kindergarten so I get to switch grades every year! I love teaching both K and 1st because I get to see such amazing growth in my students. It's so incredible to have my kids for two years. 

2. I work with the most amazing team on the planet. Like seriously, my team is awesome. We have been together for four years and have just started our fifth year together! Aren't we cute??


3. I am the goofiest, craziest teacher. It's just my style. But I also tend to be very firm and strict in my classroom management. Not sure how that works together, but it seems to work for me. Here's a pic of me dressed up as a firefighter during our field trip to a fire station last year. I think it sums up my teaching style quite nicely! :) 


4. I have wanted to be a teacher since I was four years old. My parents said I would line up my stuffed animals for "school" and read to them. In fourth grade on career day I dressed up in an apple jumper (see picture below), wore apple earrings, an apple necklace and carried around a grade book. I graded all my friends. :) 


Oh, and did I mention my mom had a matching one? Yep. This happened. 


5. I went to Southwestern University in Georgetown,TX (Go Pirates!!) where I got my undergraduate degree in Education. I am currently at The University of Texas at Austin (Hook 'em!) where I am in the process of getting my Master's in Education. Hopefully I will be graduating in May! Almost done! I decorated my classroom last year with a pirate theme in honor of SU! 



6. My two best friends, Sarah and Allison, are the sisters I never had but always wanted. We met in college and have been inseparable ever since.  I was blessed to be a bridesmaid in both their weddings! I seriously would not have made it through college and into adulthood without them!





7. Just so you know, I have the best family in the world. Sorry, I won the jackpot. My parents are just incredible and have supported me through life's ups and downs. I also have one younger brother who I miss terribly since he moved to New Orleans. Here's some fun family pics from long ago (and not so long ago)....






(Aren't they just precious??) 

8. Speaking of family... I am very thankful to have such an amazing little brother. Here we are in our younger days...



And here he is now after he graduated from college OVER A YEAR AGO! He is now an engineer and engaged to be married! GAH! I adore his fiancee (they are high school sweethearts) and I can't wait until she is officially my sister-in-law! My baby brother is no longer a baby...



9. I have a major sweet tooth. The best way to my heart is through chocolate. :) I have been this way since probably birth....


10. My faith in Jesus is very important to me. I struggle constantly with my faith, but I am amazed at how God pursues me and draws me closer to Him. I am so thankful He led me to be a teacher. Although I don't directly talk about God to my students, I strive to show Him to my students through my actions each day and through my love for each of them. 

OK, so there is post # 1! On to #2!

Tuesday is all about the classroom. Please check out my previous post which has a full tour of my classroom this year. It's ocean themed! Here's a few pics from that post! 


Here's a view of the whole classroom!


Our front meeting area


The library and student work board


Close up of our classroom library


My teacher area


Word wall, writing center and art center


Class mural we made on the first day


Class bulletin board we made on the second day

I love my room! I finally feel like I have it the way I want it! Only took five years! :) Of course, I'm sure I'll be itching to change it around December...


If you want to link up, click on one of the pictures below!! :) Stay tuned for more posts! 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your room looks fantastic! Love the class mural!