Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teacher Talk - Advice for New Teachers

Today's linky party from Blog Hopper is advice for new teachers. It wasn't long ago that I was a brand new teacher! I had a very,rough first year so I have PLENTY of advice to share. I narrowed it down though and here are my top 5 pieces of advice:

5. Find a venting buddy who is NOT a teacher (or at least not a teacher at your school). My best friend (and roommate at the time) had to listen to me cry and moan about how MISERABLE I was and she was a life-saver. It always helps to talk it out.

4. Ask for help! Don't be embarrassed to ask for advice from others. Teachers LOVE to share ideas and help each other out (well, MOST teachers haha) and collaboration with others is one of the best aspects of our careers. Also remember to share your ideas....and ask for others' to share theirs. Don't try to re-invent the wheel! (Teaching blogs are AWESOME ways to find new ideas for your classroom)

3. Have fun! Kids are hilarious...even high school kids. :) Remember to have fun with your students! Teaching is hard work, but make sure to work hard at having fun too!

2. Remind yourself that it gets better. Your first year might be horrible, but remember it DOES get better. Trust me, it does! Every year has been better for me and I'm only on my fourth!

1. Be creative! Teaching is such an incredible job especially because it is NEVER boring (if you're doing it right that is!) and you have the chance to be "an artist" in the classroom. One of my favorite parts of teaching is that I get to come up with fun and new ways to teach. Of course, I definitely use others' ideas often (see number 4!!) but I always feel so incredible when I plan a unique lesson that goes well. It's so incredible to have a job you love!


To all you new teachers out there, have a wonderful year!




1 comment:

Sharon Johnson said...

Kim, I absolutely love this blog, especially the point about being an artist in your classroom. It is so true, and there are not many professions that invite this creative freedom. I wish that I knew how to send your blog to all the beginning teachers I know. Yeah for you! Dr. J.