Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Jobs Unit


Well, we had Fall Break over the past two weeks so I've been extremely lazy. :) The kids came back yesterday so I'm finally getting back into the groove of being productive.

The two weeks before Fall Break we learned all about Jobs! This was def my favorite unit so far! I got most of my activities from Kinderglynn's unit on Community Helpers. It's adorable! We started out reading the ABC of Jobs by Roger Priddy.

I then had the kids complete an "are, can, have" activity about one of the jobs we read in the book.



Next I had students draw what they wanted to be when they grew up. We had a variety of careers including rock star, teacher, marine biologist, firefighter and hair dresser.




Our second study trip of the year was to a police station. We got to tour the station and ask questions of the police officer who gave us the tour. The kids had a fantastic time! After we got back to school, I had them write about what they learned. Most kids wrote about the "kid jail" since we got to go inside a holding cell. Oh geez. :)


They also learned that police officers go to school and they save animals. :)


These two remembered that there was a "jail" for kids, but also a playroom for kids when their parents volunteer at the station. :)


Kinderglynn's unit had cute paper books on both police officers and fire fighters. The kids colored the books and wrote about what they learned about the community helpers on the last page.


Toward the end of our unit I had the kids write about what they want to be when they grow up and why. They did a great job!


When I grow up I want to be a marine biologist because I love the ocean.


When I grow up I am going to be a race car driver because it is so awesome!


When I grow up I want to be a baker because I like to make cupcakes and cakes for people's birthday and like it. It is fun.


For a shared reading activity we read a poem called "In My Community." The kids circled sight words they knew and illustrated their poems.

My FAVORITE activity was having the kids illustrate a cartoon version of their future career. Then I printed out a picture of their heads and glued it on top of the picture. We made a "When I Grow Up..." bulletin board and the kids thought it was hilarious! They said they looked like bobble-heads. :)



A fun writing activity was having the kids fill out a "job interview." (Created by my awesome teammate Sam!) It was really funny to see how much they thought they should be paid. :)


To wrap up our unit, I had the kids do a take-home project where they had to interview a family member about their job. Here's a few examples:




On the Friday before break they could invite their family member to come to school and talk to the class. We had 7 parents come on Friday and the kids had a great time! We got to hear from a network engineer, an electrical engineer, an accountant, a repairman, a team lead manager at an OBGYN office, a builder, and a security guard.


Hope you enjoyed our Jobs unit! We just started our Halloween Unit (bats, spiders and pumpkins, oh my!) so stay tuned for that!



1 comment:

Brianna said...

Sounds like a fun and exciting unit! Thank you for the big smile on my face!